Monday, March 30, 2009

Don't cross mom!

I have been caught. I say things that my kids don't understand. I don't think about what I am saying, I just say it thinking I understand, they should too, right? So maybe not! Yesterday Emma reminded me how different her perception and understanding are from mine! Let me illustrate with this little story. I hope it makes you laugh because I am still laughing every time I think about it. Be patient with me as I try to describe the events in this story. If I had a video, it would
be much better, however, finding myself struck with a bad case of dumbfoundedness, I wasn't thinking fast enough to video this exchange. At the time, I couldn't think much beyond "did that just happen?" or "did she just do what I thought she did?"

So yesterday morning, I got home from a meeting and had a pounding headache. Of course the girls were intent on being uncooperative and had been from the moment they had opened their eyes! Not being able to think straight, I told the girls, "Mommy has a headache, and is tired, so you better not cross me today!" Can you see where this is going? Of course I didn't think twice about what I just said, and I definitely did not think about how the girls would interpret my statement. I guess that joke was on me. I just happened to glance over at her. At first glance it looked as if she was just waving her hand around in the air as she has been known to do on occasion. A few seconds passed as he continued. I soon realized exactly what she was doing. She had one finger out as if she were writing with her finger. She was moving her finger the in the shape of a T or a cross. She was crossing me! I couldn't believe it! Luckily for her I saw the humor in the situation. I couldn't stop laughing (and am still laughing!), the whole thing was too funny! I quickly forgot about my headache as we were consumed with laughter.
Maybe I should think about things from their perspective more often!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That is awesome. It never ceases to amaze me how much kids actually understand, and how they perceive things! This is the perfect example.