Okay, so I'm just a little late on this post. Micah turned 1 earlier this month. We celebrated with a small family party for those who could make it. This celebration was bittersweet as it is hopefully the last 1 year birthday celebration we will be having.
The whole cake thing was kinda strange this time because Micah had already tasted cake, had already made a mess with cake. He has never been happy watching others eat what I have deemed him not ready for. So judge me how you wish, but my son had cake, cookies, icecream, and (gasp!) peanut butter all before he turned one. Don't misunderstand, that was not his entire diet, but he certainly was not required to sit calmly by while the others had a small treat. So his birthday cake was certainly fun, but it was not a new experience for him. By his first birthday he had learned how to get most of the cake in his mouth. Mess? Very little. Ummmm . . . . maybe a lot, but from the icecream, not the cake!
With my other kids I have turned their car seats forward facing at one year. They were all 20 pounds before one. Micah wasn't 20 pounds. He was so close. But the recommendations have also changed. The AAP now recommends they stay rear facing until they are 2. Okay, so Micah will just stay where he's at. I don't feel too sad. My only difficulty with this is alleviated by other children who can help me understand how things are going in the back seat!
And because he has people, aka siblings, who are willing to carry him around everywhere, he has decided to take it slow on the walking thing! He is slowly making progress, but for now he is content to race everywhere on his hands and knees! He has learned to crawl up the stairs so I have to watch him closely when we are in the basement. He is quick. Many times I find him at the top of the stairs before I have realized where he was. And yes, I am a very attentive mother. But there are times when my attention is required elsewhere. He waits until I am focused on somebody or something else, then he darts as fast as he can. Happily playing with a toy? Ha, fooled me! He was just calculating the amount of time it would take him to get somewhere else, and then he sits and waits for his chance.
He now has 6 teeth and two more pushing his gums. His poor mouth. But he doesn't let it slow him down. He is a very happy child and likes to tease. Those experts who say babies don't have a sense of humor have obviously never seen my children. Yesterday at church, we let Micah play on the floor. He looked at me with a devious grin, and bolted for the door. I grabbed his foot as that was all I could get a hold of. He laughed and tried to get away. Yep, we had everyone watching us instead of the sunday school teacher! Oops. Changing his diaper? You guessed it. He loves to tease us. Sitting still? He won't do it! Laughing at us as we try to get him diapered and dressed? Always.
No comments:
Post a Comment