Monday, November 28, 2011
Eye exams
Earlier this month the PTA did vision screening at my daughter's school where she had difficulty seeing the line appropriate for her age. A couple of days later we received a letter confirming the results of the school screening. We knew we needed to get an appointment but I deliberately put it off. I put it off for a couple of reasons. First, I didn't want to really know or admit my daughter might need glasses. After all, I remember how horrible it was to get glasses at a young age. Second I wanted some more time to observe her closer.
My observations began. I noticed how she leaned closer to the hymnbook at church. I noticed how she would lean her head closer to the book if I was reading to the kids, sometimes getting her head in the way because she couldn't see to follow along. I also realized that she was having difficulty making out the written notes in her piano books. She would go to piano lessons and guess the notes. She has almost perfected the skill of memorizing her songs so she can pass them off at piano. Then she doesn't have to tell her teacher that she can't really see the notes! I realized she was playing from memory one day when I watched her play her song and the book was nowhere in sight. But at lessons she was using the book and all of a sudden didn't know what the notes were. She was having more difficulty passing off her lessons. I also watched her squinting more. I had just attributed the squinting to being tired, or being ultra sensitive to the light. Now I know better.
I should have connected the dots earlier. Nonetheless, I took her to an eye appointment today. The exam was hard on her. It is a hard thing to have your eyes dilated and I cannot imagine the fear she had when her eyes started feeling all funky. I don't remember my first eye exam as a young child so I don't remember how terrifying the exam can be. The doctor was incredibly patient and very competent in pediatric care.
The doctor then told me she has astigmatism in both eyes and is slightly near sighted. So I guess the verdict is, she needs glasses. Doc says she doesn't need glasses to read, but I'm a little worried about how to keep her glasses intact if she does take them off at any time during school. I worry about the adjustment period, recess, and most importantly, the social implications. Wearing glasses was hard on me as a child. Children can be ruthless to each other, especially when a person is different. We did pick out some cute glasses for her and she got the final say so we'll see how quickly she adapts to the change. I think she will adapt far better than I ever will. But I am grateful we are able to do something to fix her problem before it gets worse. I am grateful she is excited about wearing glasses so I don't have to fight her to wear them the first time. Her glasses will be ready by Friday. The jury remains undecided until next week at least!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good luck with that! If you ever have any questions you want to ask Lee he'd be happy to answer them. Sounds like you are hooked up with a great eye doctor though. Happy Holidays!
I had all the same qualms and issues and fears when my oldest needed glasses at the end of first grade. I still wish he didn't need them and was sorry to find out that his younger brother also needed them. But the boys so far are loving having glasses. As of yet, to my knowledge, nobody has been mean to my older child (now in third grade) for his glasses. Good luck with everything!
Post a Comment