Thursday, November 17, 2011
Mysterious tummy aches
Amber has been complaining about tummy aches since school started back in August, so for about three months now. I never really put much stock into it because she only complained when she didn't want to do something. Here's what would happen:
Bedtime- "Mom my tummy hurts!"
Wake up, get dressed- "My tummy hurts!"
Time to do the dishes- "My tummy hurts"
Friends are at the door - "bye mom, see you later!" - miraculous healing, no complaints of tummy aches.
Dinner time- "My tummy hurts" - but if she liked what I fixed she would eat 2 helpings.
Pick up your room- "My tummy hurts"
Let's watch a movie -"Can we have popcorn?"
Home from school - "Mom, I'm hungry, can I have some candy?"
Do you see the pattern too? This is just a small sampling of the situations that have come up at home. It seems that she is using a tummy ache as an excuse to get out of the things she does not want to do. So I've kindof brushed it aside, but worried about it in the back of my mind. It never seemed serious enough to have the doctor look at it though.
So the other day I went to her SEP conference with her teacher. It is pretty much parent/teacher conference but it is the Student Education Plan and the student has to be involved in the conference. As it turns out she's been telling her teacher that her tummy hurts on a daily basis. So he said he is worried about her. I told him what happens at home, that every time she doesn't want to do something her tummy hurts, but when her friends come by she is miraculously healed. He looked at me with that look. You know, the one that says you're stupid and you need to do something about this. This is a look that can be dangerous. It is a look laced with accusations.
So to appease the concerns of her teacher, I took her to see the pediatrician. I went into the appointment knowing we would leave without any real answers. We just need to keep a log of what she eats for two weeks, what time of the day she hurts, etc. I am not excited about this, but we'll see what good it does. We need to increase her fiber during this time too, so bring on the gummy fiber chews (I need to find them).
Now that I think about it, this might be the root cause, not enough fiber. During the summer we ate a lot of high fiber food. We had high fiber bread. She didn't complain about her tummy hurting. But right about the time the girls started school I stopped buying the high fiber bread. It was more difficult to get to the store that sells the bread we like for a decent price. So we continued with whole wheat, but it just wasn't the same.
So I guess we will see what happens with her in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping we can solve this problem without too much trauma.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good luck! I can't believe the teacher looked at you like that. I think that is a common thing with kids! My kids have said stuff like "my tummy says I'm tired" or something like that. I hope it goes smoothly!
I am surprised that he did that to you? I do know he doesnt have kids of his own...so maybe thats a reason? I dont know. He was very understanding with nat's issues. Hopefully now that the awareness has been fully surfaced....an easy solution will come about quickly!
Best of Luck!
You're doing great! keep up the tedious work and if nothing comes of it? next time you can answer his accusing look with one of your own :)
Post a Comment