I just read a newspaper article about Carin Rubenstein's book, The Superior Wife Syndrome. If you want to read the article, click on the title to this post and it will link you right to the article. While reading the article, I made a discovery. According to Rubenstein, I would fall into the category of, you got it, 'superior wife.' What? Really? I answered yes to 5 out of the 6 questions mentioned that help Rubenstein determine superiority. I multi-task, I keep track of the family schedule, I make a lot of the family decisions, etc, etc. I won't bore you with all the details. So yes, I guess I am a 'superior wife.'
But wait, what about attitude, necessity, and other factors? Each individual circumstance is going to be different. We cannot allow all women in charge of the household and family duties to be lumped into one category. Did Rubenstein really consider all the factors that determine distribution of responsibility within the home and family? I'm not sure. I can't make that call for sure. I haven't actually read the book. I am basing this off of the article in the newspaper.
I do not consider myself a superior wife by any means. When it comes right down to it, I would gladly let John take over the household chores. But, out of necessity I am responsible for the majority of the tasks in the home and family. John is gone between 12-14 hours most weekdays. Yeah, doesn't really facilitate giving him more responsibility at home does it? When he is home, guess who gets to change poopy diapers, clean the bathrooms, give the kids a bath, and more? Certainly not me! Yep, you guessed it. I step back and let John take over (with a little more prodding than he would care for).
What do you think about this superior wife syndrome? Read the article then tell me what you think. How do you relate to this? What are your thoughts? Please feel free to share any thoughts you may have.
2 comments:
Never heard of this before, but I think it exists. And (sadly) I think I'm one, too. Although things are changing in my marriage -- this fall, my husband (due to a change in his work schedule) began doing homework with the kids and making dinner as well. It's...swell.
Hey, thanks for the book recommendation! I am definitely going to check it out.
As for the superior wife thing, my husband is great domestically...cooking, cleaning, being organized, etc. I must admit I'm better with the nurturing/psychological stuff though. But hey, I think he's a lot better than most!
=)
Post a Comment