I did not realize how long it has been since I last posted. Life has a way of pulling me in so many directions and unfortunately the blog has fallen to the wayside.
At the moment I am awestruck with my eldest daughter. She has become so much more grown up and I am just noticing, I guess. She absolutely amazes me sometimes. On Saturday she received a little bit of money so she wanted to pay tithing. She found a donation slip and an envelope to put her tithing money in. As she filled out the donation slip, she noticed the line that said "Perpetual Education." She asked what that meant, what that was for. So I explained to her that in some places there are people who do not have the opportunity for an education like she has. I explained that we can donate money to the Perpetual education fund to help these people get an education. I fully expected that after hearing my explanation that she would just let it drop. I was shocked and amazed at her response. She turned to me and said, "I want to give money for that too!" Her eyes lit up and there was pure innocence on her face. How could I deny her the opportunity, in her own small way to do something for somebody else? There was no way I was going to tell her no right then. So she went to her bank where she keeps her pennies, and carefully counted out ten pennies! Ten cents is not very much, but to me at that moment, ten cents could change the world!
On Sunday morning I had told Amber to get three bowls out for the three kids who would be eating breakfast. Being insightful and observant, she realized that it was Fast Sunday and John and I would not be eating breakfast. So she turned to John and asked what it means to fast. John explained to her that we go without food or water, and that we pray for specific things and that by fasting we are more receptive to the spirit. He also told her we have the opportunity to donate the money we would have used on the meals we do not eat that day to help others who need a little extra help. Once again, I thought she would accept the answer and go eat breakfast. But she turned to us and told us she wanted to fast with us. I think my jaw hit the floor and I had to catch myself in my response. I started to say no because I didn't think she could handle it. But I stopped before I could get the word out. After all, I didn't want to discourage her. It was her decision. She wanted to participate in a fast. So why not let her try? So I told her that if she really wanted to, then she could. So, with a spring in her steps she went to the kitchen to get out two bowls instead of three.
Have I mentioned how much she amazes me? Despite the tantrums and the attitude, I really am proud of her. While we were enjoying treats after Family Home Evening today, I took the opportunity to tell her how proud I am of her and how much she has impressed me. She was positively glowing. If her smile had gotten any bigger, I think her face would have split in two!
I then took a few moments to tell Emma and Timothy why I am proud of them. Oh my, do I really not praise them enough? They soaked up the praise and were so much more willing to do what I asked after the few moments I spent telling them how wonderful they are!
Then it was time for pajamas. Amber quickly put pajamas on and asked if she could read a chapter of her book to me. So while we were waiting for the other two, I sat and listened to her read about Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion! It was actually quite amusing to hear her read the story. We stopped halfway through the story to gather for family prayer and then I told her I would come sit in bed with her while she finished reading the story to me. By this time her face was glowing and the light in her eyes was unmistakable. I think we both needed this time. I enjoyed listening to her read me a story. It was a nice change from me having to read.
Amber finished her story and switched beds. I sat with Emma for a few minutes while she read to me. When it was time to turn lights out, Emma was only halfway through the small book she was reading. So with the promise of finishing the book tomorrow, we turned the lights out and the girls got ready to go to sleep. At that point I went in to Timothy's room and sat on his bed. While I had been reading with the girls, he would sneak under John's radar and magically appear on the bed with the girls! Then with utter disappointment when I turned him away, he would shuffle back to his bed. So I sat on his bed with him. Amidst the cries of "get off my blanket" we finally got settled and he asked me to lay with him as we read a story. I read Uh Oh Max to him, which only took a few minutes. When I finished, I left a happy boy in his bed ready to go to sleep! Yay! I count tonight as a huge success.
You see, tonight was a huge success because lately I have felt extremely frustrated. I have not been able to figure out what the kids want, why they are so whiny and just plain moody. While I still don't know why, I feel as if we averted some of that moodiness for just a little bit. I am not frustrated and we weren't fighting over bedtime. Yay for small miracles in my life!
1 comment:
Its the little things like that that remind us why we do the things we do. I can't believe how grown up Amber is. She's going to grow up to be amazing! You have some marvelous kids!
Post a Comment