A member of the Bishopric asked me what I have learned in the years I've been Young Women President. At the time, being put on the spot and all, I couldn't come up with anything profound. The question has been on my mind since then. Humor me a bit as I try to answer this question now. This list will not be all inclusive as there are many things that I cannot articulate effectively here.
Things I have learned during my sojourn in Young Women
1. Sometimes plans A,B, and C don't work out. I had better have a plan X,Y, and Z. The best laid plans are often derailed by equipment failures, lack of attendance, forgetful minds, and the list goes on. But the success of an activity or program involving the youth can never rest on only one plan.
2. What I think are my goals and plans are not always consistent with the goals and plans of the Lord. So many times I have tried to do an activity that didn't work out. A lot of times we started an activity only to change direction midway through. I often had ideas of what to do, but more often, those ideas did not work. Sometimes I found that a major program did not fall into place until the week, or even the day before the program.
3. I butt heads with other people a lot. When others try to take over and override my authority, that does not sit well with me. When I say something, I mean it and I do not like when others ignore what I have said and do it their way anyway.
4. I do not enjoy meetings.
5. I have a love for the Young Women that I never imagined I could have.
6. The Young Women are amazing, and such great examples to me.
7. I had to be strong in my convictions so I could be an example to the Young Women.
8. I probably shouldn't admit I had favorites, but my favorites were always the most unlikely of the bunch. There were some I just felt much more connected to.
9. It is okay to go about doing good without being in the spotlight.
10. It is okay to put aside my personal desires and follow the counsel of others. There are so many times I felt that what I wanted to happen was so important. What I wanted was more important than what others wanted. Ultimately we had similar goals, but the means to get to the end result was different. The fight for my way was not worth it. Every person was important to the success of Young Women.
11. My own testimony is stronger and I am more secure in my beliefs.
12. I have an amazing husband who has supported me in all my craziness. He watches the kids so I can attend activities. He takes care of multiple things at home so I can be gone often. I've often said that a calling in the Young Women is a full time job. At times I feel I was away from home and my family more often than not. But my husband is a trooper. He has been there through it all, even when it wasn't the easy thing to do.
13. I can do hard things.
14. I am a daughter of God. He loves me, and always will. Okay, so I knew this already, but there is something about being a leader and watching the Young Women struggle and keep going that cements this in my heart.
15. The tender mercies of the Lord abound each and every day. I just have to be aware enough to recognize these tender mercies. The Lord has sustained me each and every day, even when I wonder how I can keep going.
16. I don't have to be perfect to be an effective leader.
17. I may never know the impact I have had on any of these young women. I may never know if anything I said or did will stick with them. But that is okay. I'm at peace with that.
No comments:
Post a Comment