My daughter just turned 10 and for her birthday I gave her some options.
Option 1: Go to the store and buy a present.
Option 2: Go to Disney on Ice.
Option 3: Go to a movie with mom and dad.
Of course, I gave her these options not really knowing what movies are available right now. Plus, I thought I was safe, I was sure she would choose Disney on Ice. But such is not the case. She chose the movie with mom and dad. So we sat down on Saturday to choose a movie. I was severely disappointed in the fare we had to choose from.
I will not take my daughter to see these movies. I just want to protect her from the world for a little longer. There are things she doesn't need to see in the movies just yet. The only movie I can see she would enjoy is OZ which doesn't come out for another week or so. But I think she was telling me she wanted to see that movie just because it was the only one available.
So John and I decided to see if we could find a live theatre to take her to. I want to take her to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Hale Center Theatre, but it is mostly sold out until the end of March. She has watched that movie so I know she would understand the play a bit. I looked for other community theatres and found one with rave reviews. The reviews said it was family friendly, cheaper than going to a movie, etc, etc, etc. Then I looked at the current offering, "Death of a Salesman."
I don't know about you, but I didn't fully understand that play when I read it in High School so I do not expect my 10 year old daughter to understand it right now. I did not like it when I read it and I refuse to subject my daughter to something that I did not enjoy many years ago.
My other option I suppose was to go to the ballet. Ballet West just recently had Cinderella and I know she would have liked Cinderella. But I was too late. It ended on Saturday. I thought it had at least one more week.
After searching for options I am disappointed with what is available for family viewing. There are not many options that are appropriate for a 10 year old. I would like to expose my children to more theatre, but I refuse to pay the price for them to not understand and to be bored. Maybe the pickings will be better in a few months, but I didn't want to wait that long. I am tired of putting her off like this. But I don't have much of an option at this point.
I will just chalk this up to another parenting fail with my daughter. It seems to happen way too often lately.
2 comments:
Just take her next week to Oz. We take our kids on a short trip when they turn 8 with one of us. They pick the parent and the place. Caleb turned 8 in October and they still haven't made their trip to Sea World. That will probably happen some time in April. Don't feel too bad. Ten is old enough to understand there isn't anything playing that you want to take her to and she can wait or choose one of the other options. I do detest how there is often not very good entertainment out there. Good luck!
I agree with you....there isnt much for family viewing. We've found the same thing. So thats when we do our own....we let them pick a movie, and pretend to have a movie day, pop some popcorn, koolaid in special cups...with straws, candy of their choice, and out with the lights. My kids have always enjoyed that much better.
Maybe you could do something else....like go out for ice cream to leatherbys with just her, mom and dad? I bet she'd enjoy any time alone with just mom and dad. I love those times...you find out the most interesting things!
We've also had to delay the birthday thing....as long as thier birthday day is good....your good to wait....besides it just makes thier birthday last longer right?
Post a Comment