To top it all off, my girls were starting to complain about not feeling well and my boys were not sleeping well. Once again, we were back to putting the kids in front of a movie or the computer so I could get some much needed rest. I had started to feel yucky on a Tuesday. That Wednesday I let Amber stay home from school because she felt awful and she looked so tired. I had already been keeping Timothy home from school because he was so tired and out of sorts. Having Amber home that day was such a godsend. Even though she wasn't feeling well, she helped me with the boys. I could barely move.
On Thursday I let Emma stay home. I think she just wanted a day like Amber had, but she also just looked exhausted. That day was the breaking point for me. I wanted to just curl up in a ball and cry. I was miserable and I couldn't keep up with the kids. Every time I stood or sat upright my head would throb. I couldn't even walk in a straight line.
This is where my visiting teacher stepped in. She had called earlier because Amber had told her I was really sick again. She asked if I needed anything from the store. I had her get some me some milk. That was the one thing that would make breakfast so much easier. My kids can get cereal on their own and I don't have to worry about getting them breakfast. I had just been feeling so yucky and had not been able to get to the store yet.
She came back with the milk and I had to get up and answer the door. I could barely stand up and I was literally in tears because I hurt so much. It was awful. At that point I was so grateful that she then took my kids for the rest of the afternoon, and made dinner for us. I asked somebody else to pick up Amber from school as I knew I would not be able to get there safely.
John got home from work, we ate dinner, and he said he was taking me to Instacare and I had no choice. This had gone on long enough and I needed help. So he took my kids to my dad's house and we trooped off to Instacare. Because of the severe pain combined with pregnancy Instacare would not treat me. The doctor gave John a choice- either he can drive me to the ER or they would put me in an ambulance. He chose to drive me to the ER.
Thankfully they were not busy at the ER. I waited a few short minutes before they checked me in. After getting checked in, the ER wouldn't treat me either. They wheeled me to Labor and Delivery where they took a flu swab and monitored the baby. Oh, and they gave me a dose of morphine. Because the morphine did not take effect immediately and with my history of migraines, Labor and Delivery sent me back to the ER for X-rays. This is when I found out the flu test came back positive. I could have told them it was the flu before I took the test. It didn't feel like anything else.
Back in the ER, despite having difficulty standing due to the severe headache, the X-ray tech made me stand up. I just wanted to cry. John hadn't been able to come with me so I had to do it by myself. The x-ray tech was no help. He was actually a little impatient with me. Finally we were done with x-rays. A short while later the ER nurses told me I was being admitted. At that point it was just about 8 a.m. and I had been at the hospital since 8 p.m. John was exhausted, I was exhausted, and my kids were still at my dad's house.
The doctors told me I would be there for at least 24 hours. But then my platelet counts dropped. They wouldn't let me go home until my platelet counts started rising again. By Sunday I was so discouraged. Everything was out of my control. My platelet levels had dropped so low and the doctor kept telling me scary things that could happen. Before this I didn't know what function the platelets have. Apparently platelets are an important factor in blood clotting. So that's why everybody was so concerned when my platelet levels dropped.
That Tuesday, five days after originally going to the ER the doctor finally told me I could go home because it looked like my platelet counts were rising. I came home about 1:00 that afternoon. I was so excited to come home, but I was still so exhausted. It has been a long road since I came home. I have taken a major beating physically and emotionally. My energy has pretty much been non-existent. Two weeks later I am just now feeling like I can function as a normal person again. But I still have to get the rooms ready for my girls. I have a lot to do in the next 6 weeks. I'm not sure it is going to get done but I will certainly try. I may have to enlist the help of friends.
1 comment:
I'm just so glad that you're on the mend. Its been a rough winter for you and your family.
Post a Comment