Sunday, August 10, 2014

DIY Laundry Soap

My friend, Cynthia came to visit awhile ago and she brought with her a recipe for laundry soap.  Even though I had seen multiple posts floating around Facebook about DIY laundry soap I never truly considered it before.  I had seen multiple recipes and some even for liquid laundry soap.   When Cynthia asked me if I wanted to do this, I was a little skeptical.

Despite my skepticism I was up for the challenge.  I was ready for  the long list of ingredients we would need and the difficult instructions for putting it all together.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this DIY laundry soap only needed four ingredients.   Plus, it sounded simple to put together.  

So we sent John to the store to gather the ingredients for us.   When John brought the ingredients home, I quickly realized the container I was planning to use was not going to be sufficient.  So I found an empty food storage bucket.    This actually worked very well.  

Here is the recipe we used.

1 box cleaning baking soda
1 box borax
1 small container oxi clean
2 bars fels naptha soap

I cannot for the life of me remember the size of the boxes.  I know what each one looks like and I know where to find it.   The hardest part of making this laundry soap was grating the fels naptha soap.  I just used my cheese grater.  After all, it is just soap and with a little water, and a run through the dishwasher my cheese grater was very clean.

It was very simple to put this all together. We emptied all contents from each of the boxes into the bucket.   We grated the fels naptha and added that to the bucket.  Then we picked up the bucket and shook it.   We shook the bucket until all ingredients were well  mixed.  It was so easy.   It only took about 5 minutes max from start to finish, not including time to get the ingredients.  

I have to say I was still a little skeptical about this soap.  But I tried it.   My white clothes came out brighter.   I didn't have any allergic reactions.   I have a large family which means we do a lot of laundry.  This concoction lasted far longer than any store bought laundry soap thus making it a cheaper option than store bought laundry soap.

No comments: