Monday, October 20, 2014

And then there was that other time . . . . .

Do you remember that one time I said I had to beg for a project all my own?  Well, I started the project.  But then I got sick.  I did not have the energy nor the brain power to complete the project.  Everything was set up in the garage for me, but we couldn't park our cars in the garage.   Yikes.   I had to ask for help.  I cried when I told my husband I would need his help.   I was so sad.   But it all worked out.  

So my project was to convert a twin size bed frame into a queen size bed frame with a bench at the end of the bed.   Then we needed to clean out the closet because I was going to convert the closet into the headboard area!   I thought the latter part would take a lot of convincing but my husband jumped right on board with me.  He thought it was a good idea!   Yay!

Here is what we did.   Because I wasn't really feeling well I didn't take and before pictures or any pictures of the process.  I only have pictures of the end (sort of) result.   We still have some work to get things organized and set up properly in our bedroom, but it is mostly done.  

This was the headboard for the original bed.   We cut the legs off the headboard leaving just the bookshelf portion.   We ended up cutting about 20" off the bottom.  This became the bench at the end of the bed.   This was the easy part and probably one of my favorite parts.  

We added about 5" to the length on each side.  We added about 20" to the width of the bed.   You can't see the ends where we added 20" but it is really there, promise. This used to be a captains bed.  The bottom of the drawers were all ruined.  I decided to just attach the front of the drawers to the side.  It looks like there are drawers.   I really do love it.

The bed is now taking up the former closet space.   We still need to take out the bar and organize everything better.   But it works well.   It will take some getting used to.  

Did you see the shelves on the left side of the bed.  Those were already in the closet.  So John decided the other side needed shelves, especially since that is my side of the bed!   He installed three shelves for me on my side.   Don't mind the mess, we are still in the organizing process here.   Stuff is all over.
Now that we have the bed done, we have the huge  task of re-organizing our bedroom.  Now we are at the not so fun stage.  Re-organizing is the worst part of rearranging a room.   We have had a lot of upheaval in our home lately.   Hopefully I start feeling better so I get the energy to work for long periods of time.   I want this done now!  

I now have my garage back until I start another project.  I'm really kinda liking this do it yourself stuff.  I haven't been a big DIY'er.  But I have seen a lot of things lately that look easy enough for a craft challenged person to put together.   I love it.

No comments: