Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Good start to the week!

Yesterday morning I had the delight of sharing my profession with Emma's preschool class. I stewed over what to tell a class of 3-5 year olds. How do you tell a 3-5 year old what an attorney does? I struggled with finding a simple explanation. I shouldn't have worried. It was so easy. I told them that I get to talk to lots of different people, I get to write, and I get to read a lot. They enjoyed the picture I showed them. I had found a coloring page online depicting an attorney holding a gavel. Okay, so it wasn't entirely correct. Attorneys do not hold gavels. I had told them the picture looks like me when I am at work. I shouldn't have said that. They asked me, "Is that you?" They were so excited to see a picture of me at work. Hehe, I then had to explain it was just a random picture but I thought they would like it. I should have made copies so the kids could color the picture. I didn't think that far ahead.

Mrs. Park (Emma's teacher) asked me to tell them what kinds of tools I use in my work. So I told them I use a computer, pens, pencils, paper, stapler, etc. Basically anything you can find in the office supply sotres! It was entertaining to listen to the kids. They all wanted to tell me their stories. It was so fun. There was one little boy that sat right in front just enthralled with what I was saying. Of course he had to tell me he likes to read and wanted to tell me all about the books he reads. Okay, so I don't think they understood, but it was fun for me. I had to actually think about what I do!

I got home just in time to watch Obama's inauguration speech. As much as I don't care for Obama, I felt his speech was full of hope for our country. It was what most people needed to hear, especially when all we seem to hear lately is doom and gloom and the country is going to fail. The speech allowed Obama the opportunity to connect with the American people. I realize his speech was probably written by somebody else, but I was glad that I had the opportunity to listen to it. This is the first inauguration speech I have been able to listen to. It was well worth my time to listen.

Monday evening we had the pleasure of having Jaime, Bryan, and their kids over for games. Actually just one game-- UNO flash. Jaime had bought the game but wanted more people to play it. It is really more fun when there are more than two players. We had just gotten started with the game when my brother and sister in law showed up. They had actually come over for different reasons but we convinced them to stay and play with us. It was so much fun. I am grateful for the opportunities we have to spend time with friends and family.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That sounds fun! I've given talks to older kids about what I do, but never young ones like that. It sounds like a riot, though. Maybe I should start planning ahead now!