Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sabbath-- not Salad-- day

It was Emma's turn to say family prayer on Sunday. Usually she can pray by herself, but lately she has been asking for help. This creates an interesting phenomenon during family prayer. I whisper something to her, and in her sweet, quiet voice, she will repeat what I whisper. But sometimes she doesn't quite understand what I said so she will make something up. Well, this particular day, I had whispered, "Help us have a good Sabbath Day" which Emma, in her infinite wisdom :) repeated "Help us have a good SALAD day!" Laughter nearly escaped me right then, but I held it in. Emma finished the prayer without further incident. As soon as she said Amen, I heard peals of laughter from John. That got me started and we had a good laugh about the pending Salad Day! It was too funny.
It sort of reminds me of a game I've played. I've heard it called many things, but here's the basics of the game. You have a group of people sit in a line. The first person whispers something to the next person in line. That person repeats it to the next person, on down the line until it gets to the last person in the line. Then the last person in the line tells everyone what the message is. It is funny to hear what comes out of it, and it is usually very different than the original message! Hearing Emma pray about Salad day, instead of Sabbath day, reminded me how easy it is to change a message, especially when you don't quite understand what is being said. My children do such a good job at reminding me how I can do better.

No comments: