Call me sentimental, but I really try to be there for my kids field trips and special programs at school. I have also had many opportunities to help out in their classes. Amber always asks if I'm coming in to her class. There were a few months there where I was so busy with other activities that I didn't make it into her class, but I did make it into Emma's class. I know Amber was disappointed every time she asked for me to come into class and I couldn't. She has even started asking John to come in when I can't.
But, that wasn't the point of this post. I just got a little sidetracked, sorry. What I meant to write about was Amber's field trip to the zoo yesterday! It was such a blast. She was so excited to ride the bus. I think that was her favorite part. I have to explain a little about the bus thing.
Rewind a couple of years. When I was working full time, I had Amber in the Boys and Girls club for daycare/preschool when she turned three. The daycare had three different classes, one class was for the kindergarten kids. Those kids got to ride the bus to and from school every day. So Amber always told me, "When I go to Kindergarten, I get to ride the bus!" The idea of the bus appealed to her a lot.
Last year she had the opportunity to ride a school bus for her preschool field trip. I wouldn't have had enough jars to bottle up her excitement at that time! But, she was still holding on the hope that she would be riding a bus to school the next year for Kindergarten. Little did she know that I was going to put her in the Neighborhood elementary school which is well withing walking distance! Hmmm . . . way to go me. Shatter her perfect dreams of riding a bus every day!
Fast forward to now! So, this is why she is excited to ride the bus! Even though she has accepted the fact that we either walk or drive to school, she has never given up the allure of the school bus. There is something about a big yellow bus and then no seatbelts! For most of those kids, the bus was the most exciting thing about the whole trip.
Anyway, we went to the zoo. Honestly, I sort of dreaded having to keep track of even five kindergarten kids! I was so relieved to find that each group would only be two kids. Amber's teacher paired her with her favorite friend, Imanol. What was funny about that was, Amber had just finished telling me that she wanted to sit with Imanol on the bus! Imagine Amber's delight when she got to spend the entire field trip hanging out with Imanol.
Side note: I think I have my work cut out for me if Amber already likes boys this much. I am not going to discourage any friendship, but . . . Ahhh, the joys of being six!
I was exhausted by the end of the trip. But we had fun. I love watching Amber, although the joy is bittersweet as I hate to watch her grow up! Time flies too fast. Before I know it, Kindergarten will be over and Amber will be moving on once again.
1 comment:
This brings back so many memories of riding the school bus with my kids on field trips. Ahhhh....the noise level that about deafens you before you even GET where you're going....the seats that feel like the springs are about to pop through and penetrate your pants, the lack of air conditioning on a hot day...all of these things are MY memories - not THEIRS. THEIR memories, as you say, are all about the big-yellow-school-bus-adventure! Thank you for the big smile you've given me today.
LOVE,
Mona
Post a Comment