I really set out to do a Mother's day post, but I just couldn't. I could not write a wonderful flowing piece when I have such a distaste for Mother's day. Everything I started to write made me begin to feel like such a hypocrite. I detest Mother's day, yet wrote a grand tribute to mothers, myself, yada yada yada. So yes, I have a serious dislike for Mother's day and I'll tell you why!
1. On Mother's day my kids and husband are forced to profess their undying love and adoration for me. Shouldn't that be happening more than just one day a year? I do much more than can be appreciated in one measly day!
2. After professing their love and adoration, I still have to get up and do everything. Even if I dream of putting my feet up and having a relaxing day celebrating being a mom, ha! Who am I kidding every year? Oh yeah, that would be me!
3. At the same time, I dislike being put on a pedestal because I am eons away from being the perfect mom and I am aware of all the mistakes I am making!
4. Mother's day is one day that I tend to get jealous. You heard that right. Jealous. I am forced to see others celebrate with their own moms, and I am forced to remember that the only way I can give my mom flowers is to go visit a cold piece of earth and leave flowers next to the stone bearing her name. I struggle to fight the jealousy of all you who can visit your mom and profess your undying love towards her (despite being forced to do it by reason of a holiday called Mother's Day)!
So, those are a few of the reasons I dislike mother's day! I know, I know, get over it, right? Easier said than done but it does get better. This year wasn't quite so bad. But I still do not enjoy the day! I do suck it up and try to enjoy myself. After all, it was warm yesterday and we had a picnic in the backyard. And we all worked together to make my favorite dinner-- Chicken rolls.
Turns out that great minds think alike. Jeff and Cori made chicken rolls for her mom! Ha ha! Too funny. I couldn't stop laughing when Jeff told me that!
So, the best celebration was when Jeff and Cori stopped by. We didn't have to talk about mother's day, so we didn't. We didn't have to talk about anything. So we shared stories of our youth! I think I laughed hard enough to burn all the calories from the last week of meals!
2 comments:
since when did my name get changed to "Cojavascript:void(0)ri"? i like it... lol wait...is this john's way of getting back at me?? jk. i had a good time too last night! thanks for letting us escape to your house!
Haha, I didn't even notice that earlier. I don't even know what happened. Probably John sending bad karma just to get back at you! :) I'm fixing it right now!
Post a Comment