Friday, October 3, 2008

Challenges and Blessings

Some days I really feel like a truck rolled over me, but wanting to make sure I was dead, backed up and just stayed there till I was so squashed I was unrecognizable. Okay, so maybe that is a little extreme, but over the past couple of weeks, I have really had to assess my life and the direction I am going, along with the direction my family is headed. You see, I believe wholeheartedly that God is orchestrating my life, but I also believe he has a sense of humor. But, sometimes I don't think He is very funny!
Most people know by now that John lost his job a few weeks ago. It has been a crazy few weeks. Not to mention stressful. Yikes! I think we were getting too comfortable with life. God finally said, HA, fooled you! To state the obvious, financial challenges are sure to arise. But, we are very grateful for the savings we have been able to build up, and the food storage. I am seeing the wisdom of the people who have encouraged these actions.
But, we sure do not miss out on blessings. John now has the opportunity to finish college, something that I have been bugging him about but never had the means to do. You may wonder how, when we have very little income, we can afford college now! As a result of John's military service he has access to lots of cool stuff through the VA. One of those benefits is Vocational Rehabilitation. They will be paying for his school! Yay! So you don't get the wrong idea, this is in no way connected to the GI Bill. Two different programs with different requirements. This is a major blessing to our family. John will have more doors open to him now! So, thank goodness he lost his job!
I think both of us have run the gamut of feelings the past couple of weeks, but as we work to find a solution, we are finding our goals realigning. For so long we have been headed different directions in our life goals, but we are beginning to come full circle, so to speak. We have redefined what is important to each of us, and what is best for our family. It has been an amazing couple of weeks and I pray our goals stay in alignment and that we can continue in the direction that we have found.
So, going back to the idea that God is orchestrating my life. He knew what would need to happen to open the way for my family to progress and come together as a more connected whole. Most often it takes other people to accomplish His purposes. In this case, God is sending our family in a new direction, but one that will allow us to be His instruments in accomplishing His purposes!

1 comment:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Jessica,

That is so awesome! What will he be going to school for? I bet it's been a hard few weeks though. :) Great post!